Monday, July 2, 2012

Day 34 - Tailwind

Smoke filled the air when we left the hotel this morning in Moorcroft. Running in smoke filled air is not the best, so it was tough to be upbeat. Nevertheless, with the temps in the 60s and limited visibility, Jennifer, Frank and I set off. Although the air was hazy and filled with some amount of smoke, I didn't really smell the smoke since my nose isn't the best. Slowly the haze lifted and we continued to run well. Frank had another good run of 19.2 miles, but it was Jennifer and I who stole the show as we were both running well. As the old saying goes, "What a difference a day makes." Today we had a tailwind which pushed us down the road quite nicely. So nice was the wind today that I would have called stage 34 a super day if it wasn't for the fire and smoke near Newcastle where we ended the day. The visibility was fairly low when Jennifer and I entered town from the west. Thankfully as we continued to head east away from the fire the smoke lessened. When will the Run face it's next challenge - who knows. I note that I ran a sub-12 minute mile pace for the stage - the first time I have completed a stage so quickly since stage two I believe.  Thanks, tailwind.
Moorcroft to Newcastle, WY 43.05 miles
Jennifer   8:07:39
Mike       8:13:13

2 comments:

  1. So glad for such a good day for you guys! Wonderful to hear such a good report! God is good!
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats for the tailwind.....Surprised you didn't sing Dinah Washington's "What a Difference a Day Makes". Great job.

    ReplyDelete